Jacobs Mace Supports the Expo 2020 Dubai Pavilion Premiere
Expo 2020 Dubai Pavilions Premiere showcased Terra – The Sustainability Pavilion, offering an immersive journey through the wonders of the natural world.
Our Jacobs Mace joint venture has supported Expo 2020 Dubai in inviting the UAE community to be among the first to explore Terra – The Sustainability Pavilion and its surrounding public spaces from January 22 to April 10, 2021.
The special preview of one of Expo 2020’s signature experiences offered visitors an immersive journey through the wonders of the natural world, including an interactive walk through the roots of the forest and a dive into ocean depths. Uncovering the hidden harmful impacts of our environmental choices, the emotive experience is designed to encourage visitors of all ages to consider how their behavior impacts the environment, empowering them to become agents of change.
In our role as Official Programme Delivery Management Provider to Expo 2020 Dubai, Jacobs Mace has monitored construction of the Thematic Pavilions and interfacing projects, plus managed overall delivery of the site’s infrastructure and public realm spaces.
“Expo has surpassed all expectations with the preview of Terra,” said Jacobs People & Places Solutions Europe, Middle East, Africa Vice President Amer Battikhi. “The Jacobs Mace JV has created a complex yet nuanced experience for all visitors. From the JV’s monitoring role in the construction of the thematic pavilions to our work managing the masterplan and delivering the arrivals plazas and public realm spaces, it has inspired visitors to understand their role in creating a more connected, sustainable world as soon as they arrive at Expo.”
Terra is designed to be net zero energy during legacy operations and visitors will get a glimpse of how this is achieved during Expo. To achieve this ambitious target, the design incorporates passive design measures to maximize the generation of renewable energy through 4,912 solar panels integrated into the entire building canopy, and energy trees incorporated into its landscape.
“We are delighted to start this year on such a positive note as we welcome the UAE community to be the first to experience Terra at a moment in our history that is unparalleled in terms of its impact on humanity,” said Her Excellency Reem Al Hashimy, Director General of Expo 2020 Dubai Bureau and UAE Minister of State for International Cooperation. “This period of rapid, unprecedented change has brought with it a pressing need to rethink the way we exist. This remains the focal purpose of Expo 2020 Dubai and the vision of the UAE’s leadership, while our Thematic Pavilions – Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability – rally the call for collective action to tackle these challenges in order to create a better future for all humanity.”
The Terra experience has already inspired 96% of visitors to change their behavior, according to a survey, including avoiding waste, saving water, growing plants and making conscious efforts to use less plastic. Meanwhile, parents and guardians have also reported a high score for Terra’s positive impact on their children (8.1 to 8.5 on a nine-point scale).
More About Expo 2020 Dubai
From 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022, Expo 2020 Dubai will bring the world together in a spirit of hope and optimism and with a shared purpose towards solving some of our greatest challenges.
- It will showcase the greatest innovations, breakthroughs and ideas from around the planet, enabling action towards a better world under its theme of “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future.”
- Expo 2020 will be an endless journey of discovery as more than 200 participants – including nations, multilateral organizations, businesses, and educational institutions, as well as millions of visitors – harness their collective power to change the world for the better.
- Expo 2020’s sub-themes of Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability will inspire visitors to make a conscious effort to think and live differently.
- An entertaining global celebration with something for everyone, Expo 2020 will wow visitors with daily events, showcasing the best of technology, creativity and culture, while food and beverage outlets will feature cuisine from around the world.
- The first World Expo to take place in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia (MEASA), located on a 4.38 sqkm site adjacent to Al Maktoum International Airport in Dubai South.
- Built with a long-term legacy in mind, the Expo site is an example of innovation in action and will transform into District 2020, a blueprint for human-centric, smart and sustainable cities of the future, after Expo 2020 closes its doors.